Author Topic: Repetitive answers on help threads  (Read 4542 times)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Repetitive answers on help threads
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:05:01 pm »
Repetitive answers under help threads

For quite some time now I as well as some other users have noticed and been bothered by the constant repetitive answers being posted in help threads.

What do I mean by this?

Basically a user starts a thread asking a question and another user answers under it about ways that they can fix their problem. That's fine and great but then minutes/hours later a few different users post under the same thread often suggesting the same exact thing(s) that the previous user suggested. Often times these other users will simply rephrase the answer of the previous poster.

Now... Why is this bothersome?

1.) It looks rude to the person who first suggested something.

When users simply repeat the suggestion already made previously by someone it seems as though you aren't being considerate to this other person's post. It's as if they didn't even say anything.

2.) It looks as if you're not even taking the time to read through other replies before replying yourself. If you've read through the replies well enough you'd have no reason to repeat something already stated.

3.) It looks as if you're just after lifting your post count since you're needlessly repeating something that has already been stated.

4.) You're unnecessarily rebumping a thread with a repetitive answer.

Now... I understand that some people are genuinely trying to be helpful but repeating answers doesn't really help anyone. My suggestion is that users perhaps elaborate on a previously stated answer rather then simply repeating and reposting it. By elaborating I mean like this:

Question: User asks a question about how to get a stuck character out of a map.  

User 1 answers: Use the character reset.

Users 1's answer is vague so user 2 says...

User 2: As User 1 stated use the character reset option at the top right of the site in the gold box. (Insert screenshot here).

In this case it is understandable to "repeat" an answer since the next user is simply elaborating on what was previously stated. By elaborating on the answer you'll be helping this confused user rather than just restating the same answer over and over again.

Other things that can be done is to state other relevant solutions that previous posters haven't already suggested. Remember that the goal here is to help others for the sake of helping so I'm asking kindly that some of you read through this thread and consider what has been said next time you decide to post.

This thread isn't to point out any particular users nor to start a rant so please keep any responses appropriate and mature. This also does not mean that next time anyone sees a user doing this that they're allowed to point them out or attack them over it. This is merely an observation & suggestion thread.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:42:49 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
Re: Repetitive answers on help threads
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:20:34 pm »
YAAAS THANK YOU.
I get so tired of this, I mean really. Especially when someone repeats you, and the user who needed help thanks them instead of the person who initially helped them??
It's almost like the first user should never have even said anything.
Honestly. If you're going to add on some useful information that's one thing, but rephrasing or just flat out repeating someone else is just... unnecessary. It makes people feel like they are being ignored, and it's just not cool.
If someone has said all there is to say, then guess what? Move along, you can raise your post count somewhere else.
My take on things anyway.
+Floof for ya Sura.?

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:03:57 pm »
I see this happen a lot, Lord. I particularly try to avoid doing this, like mentioning alternative solutions or making the original solution more specific. But a lot of times, my posts tends to be ninja'd xD

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:14:33 pm »
Yes, it is annoying. But sometimes someone will be trying to post something and someone already posted something right before you - and you can't always see what it says, well at least I can't.
But, yeah, people need to be more observent when they post stuff, because it just wastes your time reading the same thing over and over.
Also, might I add, if someone were to post before you, you can at least edit your post to make it seem not repetitive or just simply put "Please ignore." at least, that's what I do...
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »
But a lot of times, my posts tends to be ninja'd xD
Yes, it is annoying. But sometimes someone will be trying to post something and someone already posted something right before you - and you can't always see what it says, well at least I can't.

Not sure why this would be a problem. If an individual answers the thread while you've been typing out a reply but their reply mentions the exact same things you've mentioned there's no need to go on and continue posting it. You just have to except that yes someone has answered with your same reply before you. I know it is a bit annoying when that happens but there's nothing we can do about that. What matters is that the answer did get out there regardless if it was you who said it first or not. Perhaps if you were typing a reply and one was already made before you just erase the repetitive stuff and leave in any other details that weren't mentioned. Also before you post there is a message that says someone else has already replied to the topic and you can read their reply so there's really no excuse for people to be repeating stuff so often.

Again I'm not directing this at both of you but rather stating it in general as a reply to what you both stated. I hope this is understandable. Thank you all for the feedback as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:31:02 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »
Oh, well okay. Thanks though.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Vask

• #2FAB4U
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Chaotic Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 06:48:55 pm »
SOMEONE FINALLY SAID IT

Many users including myself all find it strange when someone repeats what was said perfectly before. I've seen it many times when a user gives a perfect answer, and someone has to come in and say to do what was said above. It's great that everyone's trying to help, it really is, but one right answer is fine. If someone 'beat' you to a post- and posted while you were typing- that shouldn't mean modify it to say before everything "As stated before". Nein. I DO think it's acceptable if you add on to what was said or give a more effective way. That's totally fine in my eyes.

As for repetitive questions, people should make it a point to check many help section topics for the same problem. Chances are someone has experienced the same problem. Me and many users surely find it monotonous to answer the same question over again when we'd rather tackle new problems.

:3

Thierry

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 08:46:34 pm »
True its annoying, but i cannot think on a good way to solve this.

Im going to say something a bit out of topic but, each time i see someone is already watching the post and its a moderator or a member of season, or any post ninjas, i just leave and post nothing because im sure it will be replied.

Also i want to mention that its annoying when in a thread that is are already "solved" ,  someone comes and post a reply of the same solution, its just bumps it and its most time useless. In very rarely cases i would reply to a thread that is already solved, for example when the solution isn't a good idea not the best in any way.

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »
I tend to agree. Although I can also see how elaborating on another users post may seem rude. Not everyone would think of it that way but I can see how someone may see it as, of example:
"Yeah... what so-and-so said. they just forgot to mention this that and the other thing. *hairflip*" Even though that isn't the intended purpose, It could appear that way to people.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 09:40:13 pm »
-usually is a ninja-

Yes, this bugs me a lot. Adding on to another's solution is one thing, but repeating it is entirely different.
Also, it feel like from the person who posted the thread's perspective, if a bunch of people posted the exact same thing it may make them feel kinda stupid for not knowing the answer when so many other people know it.

I pretty sure I will have to admit to reposting another answer, but that's when I just came back to the forums, now I don't do it as much. But I find it rude when someone posts the answer, someone else posts the exact same thing, and the asker of the question gives all the credit to the most recent poster.

I feel like the thing saying that while you were typing a new reply has been posted would help solve this problem, but it really hasn't. There's not really any solution to this problem that I can think of.

As for repetitive questions, people should make it a point to check many help section topics for the same problem. Chances are someone has experienced the same problem. Me and many users surely find it monotonous to answer the same question over again when we'd rather tackle new problems.

:3

Agreed. Almost all the help threads now are with users not being able to log in since their username is too long, and it becomes painful to have to tell so many users that it's too long over and over again... the help threads below them will help them, and a simple Google Search would fix stuff quickly as well. -Going slightly offtopic-